Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry for correcting problems with the position of the teeth and jawbone. Other than detracting from your appearance, crooked teeth are more difficult to clean properly, which can lead to gum and tooth disease. Misplaced jawbones can cause headaches, shoulder, neck and back pain.
Your general dentist may advise you to see an orthodontist if jaw or tooth problems are present. In general, there are seven conditions which could mean you need orthodontic treatment:
• Overbite or buckteeth where the upper teeth stick out over the lower teeth
• Cross-bite when the upper teeth do not meet properly in front of the lower teeth
• Under-bite where the lower teeth push in front of the upper teeth
• Open-bite when the front and side teeth don’t meet properly
• Misplaced midline when the center of the upper front teeth is not in the right position with the center of the lower front teeth
• Spacing with gaps or spaces between the teeth
• Crowding when there are too many teeth in the mouth to accommodate.
For treatment, there are many different types of fixed and removable appliances used to move the teeth and retrain the muscles of the jaw. Some of the fixed appliances include:
• Braces that are smaller and lighter and show much less metal than in the past – The time needed to get the teeth into their proper position varies from a few months to years
• Special fixed appliances that are used to help control thumb sucking and tongue thrusting
Removable appliances include:
• Clear plastic aligners known as Invisalign® that are becoming more and more popular in Orlando and are the braces of choice for many people. They move the teeth in the same way as traditional braces, but without the metal wires and brackets. Not only are they virtually invisible, but you can remove them when you eat, brush or floss
• Headgear, which is a strap that is placed around the back of the head and attached to a metal wire in front that slows the growth of the upper jaw and holds the back teeth where they are, and at the same time pulls the front teeth back
There is a wide variety of issues that may be cured with orthodontic treatment at Lach Orthodontic Specialists in the Orlando area. When you have a consultation with our orthodontist at our office in Oviedo or Lake Nona, you may learn if you can benefit from orthodontic treatment. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!