It’s hard enough being a teen – having a smile you’re not proud of makes it even harder.
Many teens’ self-esteem is tied to what they look like on the outside. As much as we try to tell them it’s what’s on the inside that counts, sometimes it’s easier said than done.
According to a study done by StageOfLife.com, 59% of teens feel inferior based on their appearance. That’s an incredibly high number. Yet, fixing their smile is more important than just helping them feel better about their looks. It’s also important for overall oral health. But how do you know if your teen needs orthodontic care? Below are 8 signs to look out for.
1) Did your child lose their teeth early or late?
2) Do they have difficulty chewing or biting?
3) Are their teeth crowded or do they have extra space between them?
4) Does their jaw click or make sounds when chewing?
5) Do they frequently bite their cheeks or the inside of their mouth?
6) When they bite down, do their teeth meet awkwardly or not at all?
7) Are their teeth out of proportion with the rest of their mouth?
8) Do their teeth stick out?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, make an appointment with an orthodontist to get your teen evaluated. Not only will it put your mind at ease, it could help your teen feel more confident. If your teen is worried about having braces or the appearance of braces, ask your Lake Nona orthodontist if clear braces or Invisalign is an option.
If you’d like to set up a free consultation, simply click the Chat below and a member of our team will schedule your convenient appointment!
Wishing you and your teen a great 2020!